Friends of Lory State Park – Director of Communications
If you are interested in applying for this unpaid, volunteer position with the Friends’ Board of Directors, please visit: https://www.loryfriends.org/our-board/ to download an application form and return, with a resume to the Friends group. If you have questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Karen Wheeler.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. The Director of Communications is responsible for managing all communications plan activities, developing a working relationship with the media and, along with the President and Director of Development, is responsible for building external relationships with the Friend’s constituencies, including donors.
Friends of Lory State Park Director, Communications
Reporting to the president, and serving as an integral member of the Board of Directors, the Director of Communications will be responsible for the development of Friends of Lory State Park communication strategy and will contribute to FoLSP’s organizational strategic planning process. The Director of Communications will develop the group’s communications plans and directly manage activities that promote, enhance, and protect its mission, vision and goals. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and responsible for building relationships with the media, advancing the organization’s position with key constituents, as well as help create broader awareness and donor support for the Friends’ group and Lory State Park. This position will be responsible for the Friends’ varied communications products and services including: newsletters, brochures and flyers; web, enews, and other online communications; media and public relations and marketing.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance FoLSP’s identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase visibility across key audiences.
- Create a marketing/PR strategy that will assist Friends’ leadership to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted, external audiences, including the media, partners and donors.
- Work with leadership to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counselor to FoLSP leadership.
- Oversee development of all FoLSP print and electronic communications including the annual report, marketing materials, website and new media; manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Serve as a spokesperson and point person on media interactions as needed
- Prioritize media opportunities, prepare talking points, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding FoLSP special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Oversee communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Recruit and manage a communications volunteer team
- Mentor volunteer staff using a consistently supportive and collaborative approach.
- Establish and monitor volunteer staff performance, assign accountabilities, set objectives and priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required
- Minimum five years experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors, and in successfully achieving high-impact placements
- Extensive writing and editing experience with a variety of print and online media
- Demonstrated experience in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- A minimum of five years experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports and other marketing literature
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Passion for the mission and vision of Friends of Lory State Park